Friday, April 4, 2008

Because of Jesus

God uses the most impromptu situations to tell me that His plan for me is unfolding. Random conversations in unlikely, unscheduled places make me realize how blessed I am to be redeemed and how set apart the followers of Christ really are.

I guess it boils down to a bit of naivety with a mix of love for others and the belief that everyone loves other people too. When asked what I plan on doing when I graduate (or sometimes me just telling people without them asking), I share my calling to go overseas and help other people, usually it involves me putting my engineering skills to work for those that need the most help. And I really don't see it as being a big deal. Until a buddy of mine in the library today looked at me with complete shock when I unfolded this plan before him. He stared for a while, then just chuckled and remarked

"Man, Ben, I'm glad there are people like you out there. I look at people in Africa and think 'That sucks...oh well'. "

It just is something, or more specifically Someone, deep inside me that just innately calls me to serve others and to spread love to what Jesus called 'the least of these'. For me it seems only natural to have these desires and I don't think twice about it. Unfortunately, the rest of the world doesn't feel the same way. Which just acts as a greater motivation for us to live as people of change. People of love. People who care enough about the rest of humanity and their physical, and more importantly spiritual, needs that they will give up cushy jobs and comfortable futures in order to show the world that God is the one who saves.

No comments: